Points to Ponder: From Abraham Lincoln
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time."
"Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally"
Story Line: America is celebrating 200th birthday of Abraham Lincoln, the president who was known for his humorous quotes and jokes. Here are a few to enjoy and ponder as we remember him.
1. Lincoln was not a good looking man and when accused by an opponent of being two faced, Lincoln replied "If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?"
2. Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
3. He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas better than any man I ever met.
4. There was a boy who killed his parents, and during court proceedings pleaded for mercy on the grounds that he was an orphan.
5. Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.Let the Elephant Run
Assistant Secretary of War Charles A. Dana had learned that a man named Jacob Thompson, who had been causing the government many problems, was about to escape to Liverpool. Dana approached Lincoln with the news. Lincoln asked Dana what Secretary of War Edwin Stanton thought about it. Dana answered, “He thinks we should arrest him.”
Lincoln replied, ”I disagree. If you have an elephant on your hands that wants to run away, you better let him run."
Reflection: Parting thought from Mr. President's quote: Whatever you are, be a good one.